[OSM-newbies] Highway Types and Speed Limits

David ``Smith'' vidthekid at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 10:57:26 BST 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 4:06 AM, Trevor Hook
<trevor.k.hook at googlemail.com> wrote:
> When I'm tagging say, a residential street, should I also be tagging the
> 30mph speed limit that the residential street implies (at least in the UK)
> or should I only tag if the street has a non-standard speed limit such as 20
> or 40mph?

Route planning applications aren't likely to know very well what a
"standard" or "default" speed limit is for a given type of road in a
given country.  Furthermore, there are many criteria to consider when
deciding what highway=* tag to give a road on OSM, and those criteria
aren't likely to match up with how local authorities classify a road
for the purposes of assigning a speed limit.  Therefore, if you know
the speed limit of a road, by all means tag it!

PS If you're going to tag speed limits in miles per hour, always make
sure it's formatted properly, with a space between the number and the
unit, and the unit (mph) in lowercase.

--
David "Smith"
a.k.a. Vid the Kid