[OSM-newbies] Mapnik local tiles are missing data

Trevan Richins TRichins at soleranetworks.com
Thu Aug 5 21:04:03 BST 2010

I'm trying to get a local copy of mapnik running on my machine (to use with tilecache and openlayers).  I think I imported the data successfully and I've setup tilecache and openlayers to use it.  But the map doesn't look right.

First thing is that the slippy map is only showing the western hemisphere.  If I request the eastern hemisphere tiles directly from tilecache, they show up so I think I have something wrong with my openlayers setup.

Second thing is that at zoom 0, there are no names.  At zoom 1, I see some city names (but no country names).  But at zoom 3, the country borders disappear (and state borders never show up).  At zoom 4, the city names disappear.  Streets never show up at any zoom level.

I followed the directions at http://weait.com/content/build-your-own-openstreetmap-server as well as http://www.justobjects.org/blog/?p=45 (because I want 4326 projection and not 900913 projection).

My osm2pgsql command was:

osm2pgsql -E 4326 -S default.style -slim -d gis -C 2048 planet-latest.osm.bz2

It took over 6 days to run so I hope I don't have to run it again.

My generate_xml.py command was:

./generate_xml.py -psg=4326 -dbname=gis -accept-none

My openlayers code is:

                       map = new OpenLayers.Map("basicMap", {
                               projection: 'ESPSG:4326'
                       });
                       var mapnik = new OpenLayers.Layer.OSM('Mine', 'http://192.168.1.1:8080/1.1.1/osm/${z}/${x}/${y}.png', {
                               srs: 'ESPSG:4326',
                               isBaseLayer: true,
                               projection: 'ESPSG:4326',
                       });
                       map.addLayer(mapnik);
                       map.setCenter(new OpenLayers.LonLat(0,0), 1);

My tilecache configuration is:

[osm]
type=Mapnik
wapfile=/home/bin/mapnik/osm.xml
tms_type=google

I've compiled mapnik with debugging turned on but there is nothing in the output that makes it look like I've messed up.  Also, there looks to be a very tiny map of the world at coordinates 0,0.  It has country names and such in it.  I don't know why it is there or why it is so tiny.

Does anybody have any ideas on what I did wrong and what I can do?

Trevan

The information in this e-mail and in any attachments is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy this message, delete any copies held on your systems and notify the sender immediately. You should not retain copy or use this e-mail for any purpose, nor disclose all or any part of its content to any other person.