[OSM-newbies] Just viewing roads and neatly creating cycle routes

Cartinus cartinus at xs4all.nl
Tue Aug 10 19:01:26 BST 2010

On Tuesday 10 August 2010 17:19:00 Richard Weait wrote:
> > 1. When I download map data for my area there is a huge amount of detail
> > including of fields and similar areas.   Is there a way to just see the
> > roads to simplify editing?
>
> The JOSM editor will let you selectively hide objects.  That sounds
> risky to me as you wouldn't want to edit an object that you have
> partially hidden.

By default JOSM's filter function just disables editing of objects. You have
to tick an extra checkbox to actually hide them.

Disabled objects are drawn in dark grey behind other objects and don't have a
fill colour. When tagging routes in areas with dense data, I disable all
landuse and natural areas. This makes editing significantly easier.

--
m.v.g.,
Cartinus