[OSM-newbies] information request

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Wed Jul 7 13:38:03 BST 2010

On 07/07/2010 13:15, Patrick Flanagan wrote:
> Hi All
> Im new to OSM and have followed the instructions to upload data using
> the JOSM editor.
>
> My mapping was done on Tory Island (NW Ireland) where the existing OSM
> outline of the island is
> incorrect e.g. the shore outline is inland by up to 100m in many places.
> I moved the outline during editing
> but when I view the subsequently uploaded map some of my features appear
> in the sea.
> How can I correct the island ouline?

I looks like you edited the coastline correctly.
Most map edits appear on Mapnik (the default map on openstreetmap.org),
pretty quickly (usually within a few minutes).
But the coastline is more complicated, so is generated separately, and
usually only updated every few weeks. So wait a few weeks, and your
edits to the coastline will appear.

Or you can view the "Osmarender" map instead. it is rendered separately
to Mapnik, and the coastline is updated more frequently, usually within
a few days. Click on the blue "+" in the top right corner of the map,
and choose Osmarender.
Or try this link, which should show it:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=55.2616&lon=-8.2214&zoom=14&layers=0B00FTF

Craig