[OSMF-membership] Membership sign up through SOTM US

Jonathan Bennett jonobennett at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 22:26:58 UTC 2015

On 20/01/2015 22:30, Alex Barth wrote:
> How is payment handled? Could there be a coupon code that people use for
> sign up to OSMF? We would issue this coupon code with conference tickets
> that opted into becoming members.

It appears that we can extend Civi to accept voucher codes. At this
stage I'm not sure if this means a single code for all SotM-US
attendees, or individual ones for each attendee. If this looks easy to
implement it could be in place before the event itself.

One other option is that we give the SotM-US team logins to the OSMF
Civi system and allow them to enter the membership details directly
through a special form. This is obviously more work but gets attendees
enrolled faster. A further option is that you simply collect the details
from attendees and we import them from a flat file after the event.

In any of these cases the payment would then need to be collected
separately.

> The coupon code model is what we're considering for OSM US itself: we
> can't sign up members through the conference registration process as
> compltely different backends are involved (Recurring payments through
> Stripe on OSM US vs one-off payment on Paypal on conference registration
> with Eventbrite).

Longer term we (OSMF) could offer a service for local chapters including
membership and event management, with the value-add that local chapter
members would automatically get whatever privileges were deemed
appropriate by the Board. This would also allow integrated billing -- I
believe PayPal allows recurring payments as well.

J.