[Osmf-talk] OSMF and Evangelism

Nick Black nick at blacksworld.net
Mon Aug 3 12:03:19 UTC 2009

On 31 Jul 2009, at 19:59, Peter Miller wrote:

> On 31 Jul 2009, at 18:46, Nick Black wrote:
>
>> Rafael - you have lots of good points.  It would be great to get
>> some of these ideas channeled into an OSM-F working group that
>> focussed on supporting mapping in developing countries.  I agree
>> that the work we saw at SOTM was inspirational.   OSM can do a lot
>> of good in a lot of parts of the world and I firmly believe that
>> its part of the OSM-F's agenda to promote OSM to people who have
>> not had the same opportunities that most other OSMers have had.
>
> The Local Chapters work seems to be potentially very important for
> out-reach to new countries. Personally I think the aim of the
> foundation should be to 'enable' rather than to 'do' and I think
> that the Local Chapters work group should be aiming to do that
> minimum work, saying, yes, you can use the name and trademark, and
> yes, when someone asks if you have authority you can say yes I do
> and show them a bit of paper. Personally I think there is more work
> needed by the foundation to get the Local Chapters (and I hate that
> phrase!) up and running well and more discussion. There is no need
> for someone to use the Local Chapter mechanism in any particular
> county - I can't see it being picked up in Germany for instance.
> Personally I see no reason for the foundation to ask for £10 per
> member of the local chapter because I think that would kill it in
> many countries where it is most needed. I do also note that the only
> chapters currently proposed are for the USA and for part of the UK
> so it isn't working yet to full potential. I could make other
> comments, but they are best made by other people and in another forum.
>
> When there is a vibrant community building around local chapters
> then the foundation could help raise some funds to support that
> work, but personal again, I suggest that the work of the local
> groups in discussion with each other to get together to raise that
> money, not the foundation. The foundation's job it is initiate the
> processes and communication and should not be the big benevolent
> grand-father who sorts it all out. I think that this grouping of
> local chapters should take responsibility for 'gps-to-go' and
> deciding where the GPS units go and when they come back, it is not
> the job of the foundation to do stuff that can be done by others or
> it will get too top-heavy and slow.
>
> Btw, I did an pretty big edit of the Local Chapters page yesterday
> to clean it up and provide a bit more structure. Could you please
> check it Nick to ensure I haven't misrepresented anything?

Looks good, Peter.  Thank you for you efforts.  There are many more
local chapters interested than those represented on the wiki.  Setting
up an email list seems like a good idea.

Did anyone on this thread get a list of the people who attended the
local chapters meeting at SOTM?

--
Nick

> [...]
> moving. When it is moving we can talk about what further input is
> required from the foundation if any.
>

> Regards,
>

> Peter
>

>> --
>> Nick
>>

>> On 30 Jul 2009, at 21:09, Rafael Morales wrote:
>>
>>> I agree that the foundation cannot be expected to evangelize the
>>> entire world on the "goodness of OSM," to quote Nick,  but I do
>>> feel strongly that the OSM Foundation should bring leadership and
>>> guidance to the project.  As members of the OSM Foundation, we
>>> should then have an opportunity to weigh-in/vote on the
>>> Foundation's goals, and by consensus decide what if will focus on.
>>>
>>> I personally feel strongly that should include among its primary
>>> goals, actively promoting OSM in parts of the world were there is
>>> little map data (and I'm referring to the developing world).  It
>>> is in those regions that access to quality maps could be most
>>> empowering; think Palestine mapping project and humanitarian
>>> crisis assistance. After all, it was Hurricane Katrina in 2005
>>> that launched Google Earth into the day-to-day lexicon of the
>>> common American, and I would argue that OSM's work in those areas
>>> could do much more to promote the project, than mapping every
>>> single power line in Germany.  (Sorry German OSM mappers, I give
>>> you incredible props for the completeness of your map, it is
>>> amazing, but I'm just making a point here).
>>>
>>> That said, this does not necessarily mean that the foundation has
>>> to devote huge amounts of resources to achieve this. There are
>>> certainly a lot of low-cost, high-impact projects it could
>>> support, such as setting up micro-grants to support mapping
>>> initiatives in the developing world; partnering with companies to
>>> provide hand-held GPS units (ex. Garmin) and  laptops (ex. One
>>> Laptop Per Child) to mappers in those countries; working with
>>> microfinance organizations in those countries to expand the use of
>>> OSM in the field; asking OSM mappers from the developed world to
>>> donate their old GPS units when they upgrade; setting up challenge/
>>> matching grant programs to encourage the OSM community itself to
>>> support some of these initiatives; etc., etc.  My point is that
>>> the cost need not be extravagant in order to achieve real and
>>> significant results.
>>>
>>> As those of us that attended SOtM saw, there are a lot of folks
>>> doing amazing work in their home countries with access to
>>> literally one or two GPS units, imagine what could be done if we
>>> can provide some of these mappers with additional resources!  The
>>> foundation needs to by servers to allow for the massive amounts of
>>> detail in OSM, I understand that, but give people a reason to feel
>>> good about contributing to the map and they will participate.  If
>>> they think their contribution to the map is only going to make
>>> private companies and developers wealthy, where's the incentive?

Nick Black
twitter.com/nick_b
nick at blacksworld.net