[Osmf-talk] Travel-to-panama expenses

Iván Sánchez Ortega ivan at sanchezortega.es
Mon Aug 3 17:59:53 UTC 2009

El Lunes, 3 de Agosto de 2009, Henk Hoff escribió:
> I'm a little hesitant to spend money on plane tickets to send people
> all over the world to talk to whoever. [...] I see the importance of
> face-to-face meetings, especially when it comes to making deals. Normally
> local community members could do that, but that is a little difficult in
> places where there are no community members....

I see your point. And I wouldn't be asking for money if the meeting would have
a small impact (it will impact NMAs from several countries), or if there was
already somebody in Panamá capable of attending (we have no-one in Panamá).
So I hope that the board can see why I am making this request.

> Hope this gives some insight to my position.

Well, I highly doubt that I'll stand up for the board election (I already have
enough stuff to care about). But Nick and others have asked what the OSMF
members would like to see in this next year.

So, I'll say that I'd like to see more aggressive action towards mapping
agencies (specially, MNAs - national mapping agencies). The main goal of the
OSMF is to have more and better free geodata, and the MAs are the ones with
that geodata. I do think that lobbying MAs in order to either strike deals,
or make them publish more geodata (even if it's not OSM-compatible!!) should
be a priority.

Cheers,
--

Palabras Textuales #617: "Quiero una foto de Colón descubriendo América"
(Productora, Editor a Fotógrafo capaz de viajar en el tiempo según parece)