[Osmf-talk] OPENSTREETMAP FOUNDATION - NOTICE OF ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

James Livingston doctau at mac.com
Mon Aug 17 09:04:45 UTC 2009

On 16/08/2009, at 10:16 PM, Ulf Möller wrote:
> In the event that any election of
> directors results in a single entity representing greater than 40% of
> the Board, than the nominee representing that entity receiving the
> least
> number of votes, shall be replaced by the nominee receiving the
> greatest
> number of votes who was not elected to the Board.

You have to be careful with wording or you can cause some unexpected
interactions with your voting system. From memory, the GNOME
Foundation uses Fractional Transfer STV with Droop quota, so the above
clause taking effect could produce a different result than if the
excluded candidate had their preferences distributed.

After just looking, I can't see anywhere on the election pages or
articles what voting system OSMF actually uses. For the board election
it seems that each member can cast up to seven unordered (non-
preferential) votes, but I'm not sure how they're counted. I'm
guessing it's "each vote counts as +1, the seven people with the most
votes are elected".