[Osmf-talk] EVERYONE: PLEASE VOTE

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at thenilgiris.com
Thu Aug 20 07:01:09 UTC 2009

On Thursday 20 Aug 2009 12:15:27 pm Peter Miller wrote:
> On this particular issue I do strongly advocate a system where
> membership of the foundation can be earned by the 'sweat of the
> brow' (ie sustained contribution to OSM over a period of time) rather
> than only with cash. I believe this would dramatically increase the
> number of members (some of whom might actually vote) and remove the
> current bias towards the west and towards those with spare cash. I
> raised the question on the foundation list last month [1] and there
> was a useful discussion about it but the view of a board member was
> that it was not an issue that was getting attention. Possibly in light
> of the above it should do.

yes. This is more important than the issue of one company or the other fixing
the poll. 12 GBP is a big sum for people in the third world - and paying by
credit card is not all that easy from here. I suppose when local chapters come
up there will be more representation from here. But certainly contribution -
regardless of the type of contribution should be the main criterion for
membership of the OSMF. Fortunately in the open source world, it is very easy
to judge contribution - and difficult to fake it. How this vibes with british
law is something else, but I feel this may not be too difficult to do.
--
regards
kg