[Osmf-talk] EVERYONE: PLEASE VOTE

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Thu Aug 20 07:33:22 UTC 2009

On 20 Aug 2009, at 08:01, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:

> On Thursday 20 Aug 2009 12:15:27 pm Peter Miller wrote:
>> On this particular issue I do strongly advocate a system where
>> membership of the foundation can be earned by the 'sweat of the
>> brow' (ie sustained contribution to OSM over a period of time) rather
>> than only with cash. I believe this would dramatically increase the
>> number of members (some of whom might actually vote) and remove the
>> current bias towards the west and towards those with spare cash. I
>> raised the question on the foundation list last month [1] and there
>> was a useful discussion about it but the view of a board member was
>> that it was not an issue that was getting attention. Possibly in
>> light
>> of the above it should do.
>
> yes. This is more important than the issue of one company or the
> other fixing
> the poll. 12 GBP is a big sum for people in the third world - and
> paying by
> credit card is not all that easy from here. I suppose when local
> chapters come
> up there will be more representation from here. But certainly
> contribution -
> regardless of the type of contribution should be the main criterion
> for
> membership of the OSMF. Fortunately in the open source world, it is
> very easy
> to judge contribution - and difficult to fake it. How this vibes
> with british
> law is something else, but I feel this may not be too difficult to do.

I get the impression that there is good support for this approach and
don't believe that British law would be a problem. Fyi, the current
draft Local Chapter's agreement there is a requirement for chapters to
give £10 to the OSMF per member.   "The Federated Organisation will
pay the Foundation a fee of £10 per annum (or as amended from time-to-
time) for each of their members, or as otherwise agreed with the
Foundation.  Identification and contact details of each member to be
provided to the Foundation and payment to be made to the Foundation
within 30 days of the joining date of the member to the Federated
Organisation." [1].

Personally I see no justification for money flowing from the local
chapters to the foundation. I would like to see if going the other was
as it did with the  State of the Map Scholarships.[2] There is a
useful discussion about it on the list here (follow the conversation
using 'next message'.[3]

I am also keen for a 'talk-outreach' list to discuss issues relating
to outreach and to local chapters. It there a good reason not to have
one? I am pushing for email-lists to be associated with all working
groups because I see them as an essential communications tool for a
global open-source project and if an issue is important enough to have
a working group then it is important enough to have an email list. A
focused list captures all the good ideas in a way where they won't
then get lost and diluted.

[1] http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dgdmw5gt_7gtj36hhh
[1] http://www.stateofthemap.org/2009/06/22/osi-scholarships/
[3] http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2009-July/000082.html