[Osmf-talk] How big will the board be this coming year?

Michael Kugelmann MichaelK_OSM at gmx.de
Thu Aug 20 12:21:29 UTC 2009

Daniel Glassey wrote:
> Until otherwise determined by a General Meeting, the number of members
> of the Board shall not be less than two nor more than eight.

[...]
> I don't know how this would work procedurally, but I'd like to propose
> that the new board add the candidate with the eighth highest number of
> votes to the board[1].

I support the request for increase the number of board members to eight.
If an official request for increasing the number of board members to 8
is required, this email shall be regarded as it. And: this request
should be discussed at the AGM09.

Why do I think, an increase of boad members is appropriate?
On my impressions there seems to be a lot of work to be done by the
board and the working groups currently with some big/difficult issues
(License Working Group, Local Chapters Working Group). And looking at
the growth of OSM I guess that other working groups are also busy (Data
Working Group, Technical Working Group, Communication Working Group).
And with the desired growth of the StateoftheMap, the SOTM Organizing
Committee will be busy too...
So why not distribute the work load to a larger number of board members?
I know that not only board members are allowed to be active in the
working groups. But from my point of view the participation of board
members is advantageous in my personal point of view.

CU at AGM09 at London on Saturday.

Best regards,
Michael.

PS: the working groups foundation wiki page
http://foundation.openstreetmap.org/working-groups/ should contain at
least some short information for ALL working groups and not only a list
of members. This would improve transparency on the work of the groups.
Could someone please take care about this? Thanks.