[Osmf-talk] Cloudmade and OSMF

Emilio Anzon emilio at anzon.it
Fri Aug 21 14:00:43 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 02:19:59PM +0200, ce-test, qualified testing bv - Gert Gremmen wrote:
> While I have not the least doubt about the positive way all
>
> Cloudmade OSMF members DO contribute to OSM
>
> and to free GEODATA for all, the mere fact that there seems to
>
> be a conflict of interest between any OSMF board member
>
> and any company has shown to be a time bomb
>
> under our successful cooperation.

hi,
 plese can you show me "when" exploded the bomb ?
and the horrible effects ?

> Large organizations need strict rules, and need to obey its own rules.

i never liked "strict" rules about people - we are not machines

> And OSM is quickly becoming a large organization, and without
>
> a decent structure will quickly desintegrate into a large battle of
>
> stupid amateurs.

"stupid amateurs" !!
are you talking with me ?!  :P (quoted)

> So I think that the things that have happened, showed the inexperience of
>
> "our leaders"   with democracy and transparency.

i do not think so, maybe of diplomacy but not for sure of democracy!

> Signing up a lot of members with a similar background a few hours
>
> before elections gives a strong taste of manipulation, true or not,
>
>  and those responsible for that should realize how much harm that
>
> has done.

that's true if and only if you think maliciously.
in any case the people to elect are 7 and candidates are 9
so i do not think anyone can manipulate it a lot ;)

> Essential democracy is not learned at school, and examples of
>
> wrong-doing show up in the newspapers all day. If one does not
>
> want to learn from that, well ultimately that will destroy
>
> OSM as an international cooperative organization.

<kidding>
did not you watch "citizen Kane"
</kidding>

> We all owe respect and do admire the energy and efforts
>
> made by Steve and other Cloudmade employees in the past and today.
>
> But those who founded OSM are not necessarily the best men to
>
> sustain and manage future OSM.

I can agree but they also showed to be not so bad, even.

> Frederic has put the finger on a sore spot, and that hurts.
>
> While he might have drawn his conclusions too quickly, or at least wrote
>
> them down too "agressively" is true.
>
>  The reaction of Steve however, is even more aggressive and personal, and witnesses a
>
> profound lack of diplomatic skills. Something we may demand from
>
> the board's chairman.

i agree

> Therefore I want to suggest the new board creates a number of
>
> rules to guarantee transparency and decoupling of interests.

too many rules are bad

> One of these rules MUST be that no (commercial) party will have more
>
> than 1 (voting) position  at the BOARD or any other official  part of OSM.

impossible!
we are no kids and anyone can have some commercial interests bound
somehow to OSM. and it's not bad.

> Other rules for example should guarantee that all OSM nations will be represented
>
> in the foundations board (not that every country needs a representative),

how ?

> and that personal membership may not be extended more than 2 terms.

in thet case we really need NEW people that want to spend time for free
and it's not that easy because we are no kids anymore :(
even if they do not do their "job" good I thank them for the energy they
spent.
I can give advices but not for sure shall tell them they are doing bad
IF I am not ready to propose ME instead of them!

> Gert Gremmen

and please try to quote and reply better in a list!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#How_much_to_trim

\Emilio
--
Member of Italian Linux Society - PLUTO - Italian Linux Documentation Project
Member of the Internet Society - ACM - ICANN - USENIX - SAGE

<cite>
E' ricercando l'impossibile che l'uomo ha sempre realizzato il possibile.
Coloro che si sono saggiamente limitati a cio' che appariva loro come
possibile, non hanno mai avanzato di un solo passo.
                                        Michail Bakunin (1814 - 1876)
</cite>