[Osmf-talk] License Working Group - license change proposal status

Jeroen Carelse jeroen at carelse.com
Wed Dec 2 14:20:47 UTC 2009

Thank Richard,

Good you gave me that link, I had completely overlooked it.

My concern is the situation where a user at a site adds something to a database and that content is displayed as a layer onto an OSM(map). Based on what I understand from the examples you showed me I would summarize it like this, correct me if I am wrong:

data which is inside a layer on top of OSM is not automatically owned by OSM(F).
 - the owner of this data could transfer the rights to OSM(F)
 - the owner, or site owner, could by default decline to transmit the rights to OSM(F)

Examples
I own (I do not but …) a commercial travel site. My members pay me to be able to describe beautiful sceneries they have encountered on their journeys. They look at the map and place a marker and use a form to describe how many stars they give this site or view and what it is about etc. This data is stored locally inside travel-site_database.

1: OSM(F) has not automatically the right to use or claim this data
2: the user/owner of this data could give me, the site owner, the rights to make this data accessible by OSM
3: my site declines by default access to this data to OSM

I try to find the limits of the license, most is clear to me though.

Jeroen

On Dec 2, 2009, at 15:42 , Richard Weait wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 2:55 AM, Jeroen Carelse <jeroen at carelse.com> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>
> Hi Jeroen,
>
>> Imagine a situation where I use OSM data and at my site, add the location of my chicken shed, pig stable and my lawnmower, is this the "own data" that you refer to above?
>>
>> Imagine a situation where I will use OSM data on my site and will place a marker at the local town hall, is that marker location "own data"?
>>
>> What if I add a popup with text describing the town hall, is the text inside the popup "own data" ?
>
> I would expect each of your use cases to be permitted, with
> attribution, based on the following published use case.
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Use_Cases#Overlaying_OSM_maps_with_information_without_need_to_contribute_back
>
> Best regards,
> Richard
> Speaking for myself, not for the foundation.

Pappilanniementie 18
13880 Hattula
Finland
+358 (0)40 5651956