[Osmf-talk] Share Alike images

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Dec 8 08:44:05 UTC 2009

Hi,

Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> On Di, 2009-12-08 at 06:10 +0100, Tobias Knerr wrote:
>> How can evilâ„¢ people stop us from creating free maps? It seems
>> that /not helping/ us is the worst they can do.
>
> I disagree. I do the mapping work (a) because I want to (it's fun, it
> makes the world more free, etc.etc.), but also (b) because I benefit
> from the input of others just as much as they benefit from mine.
>
> If (b) doesn't hold, e.g. because FredFred the navigator manufacturer
> integrates _my_ updates into their map and then expects _me_ to pay them
> to be able to actually use that data on their devices, my motivation to
> continue doing so _will_ reach an all-time low.

So your argument is basically that while evil people could not
effectively take data away from a PD licensed project, they could use
the data in ways not compatible with the personal preferences of
individual mappers, thereby discouraging them from further contribution,
and thereby then reducing the growth of the project, did I get that right?

If so, this risk (data being used against personal preferences of
individual) exists with almost any license. For example, I should not be
surprised if some mappers were discouraged from further contributions if
it should turn out that OSM maps are used by oppressive governments or
in warfare. Both uses are not prohibited by any of the licenses under
discussion, yet increasingly likely with growing coverage and quality.

Any license carries the danger of not disallowing something an
individual might want disallowed, and thereby making that individual
like the project less or even stop contributing. (And I'm not even sure
whether the number of people who would dislike OSM used for war is
smaller than the number of people who would dislike FredFred using OSM
without freeing up their device updates.)

Not that oppressive governments would care for us telling them not to
use our data ;-)

Bye
Frederik