[Osmf-talk] Share Alike images

Jaak Laineste jaak at nutiteq.com
Tue Dec 8 08:52:31 UTC 2009

> If (b) doesn't hold, e.g. because FredFred the navigator manufacturer
> integrates _my_ updates into their map and then expects _me_ to pay them
> to be able to actually use that data on their devices, my motivation to
> continue doing so _will_ reach an all-time low.

With the evil license you have two options:
a) use FredFred with commercial maps and without your maps at all. There is no chance that commercial vendors let their databases infected by viral licenses.
b) pay to Carmen (for their GPS device) which enables to import your OSM maps. Actually you may need to pay also to NT and/or TA for their bundled maps which you probably do not use at all. So you can also say that you have to pay to Carmen to be able to use your maps on their device. Which is technically correct, I also had to pay to IBM to have computer to create and use my own maps etc. :)

 Suggestion: imagine that you pay to FredFred just for their hardware, and their added value to pre-bundle your maps to the theoretical future "FredFred OSM edition".

 In theory there might be "free rider" issue, but only temporarily. If OSM database has real commercial value for FredFreds, then it has similar value to all their competitors, so all of them will use it. So soon all of them provide OSM content for free on their devices and added cost of the data for you be also near zero. Under open competition nobody can get big profits from reselling free resources.

Jaak