[Osmf-talk] Share Alike images

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 14:01:48 UTC 2009

Tobias Knerr wrote:

> How can evilâ„¢ people stop us from creating free maps? It seems that /not
> helping/ us is the worst they can do. And I don't think we really need
> their help, we can create excellent free maps on our own.

In my personal opinion, the evilâ„¢ people I am most worried about and
would want to defend against are for example companies like Waze and
Google. Not Google as in google maps. I would be more than happy if
Google started to use OSM in google maps, but Google as in Google Map
Maker, as they can cause more problems than "not help us". Both projects
(try to) have communities of their own that the companies will use to
improve the data. So they would use OSM data to kick start the project
and then use their community to improve the data further. Just that they
then don't give back the data and only limit its use to the few usages
that their company profits most of, in fundamental opposition to free
geo data, the objective of OSM. So not only would they potentially
"steal" the data, they might even "steal" some of the community
(particularly as as big companies they have much more resources and
marketing power than OSM), the two most valuable assests of OSM.

Of cause I can't say if this is truly the intention of either Waze or
Google, so I might be doing these specific companies injustice, but at
least from the FAQs on Waze's forum about why they didn't use OSM it
basically said, as otherwise we can't close off, control and sell the
data generated from the Community Waze is building, which has real value.

That is why I think the ODbL is a great compromise between PD and share
alike, as it makes it more easy to use the produced works and makes it
potentially much easier to incorporate OSM data into interesting (and
inovative) products and projects, with less danger of fragmenting the
community, while all companies are going "Web 2.0 lets have a token
community to exploit", due to the stronger share alike on the underlying
data.

But that of cause is just my personal opinion on a decades old flame
war, so I should probably stop there.