[Osmf-talk] OPENSTREETMAP FOUNDATION - NOTICE OF ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

Michel Barakat bmichel at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 11:16:35 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 11:43 AM, Frederik Ramm<frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> This would mean that *either* your *or* SteveC should be on the board
> but not both of you. It is of course everyone's right to stand for
> election and let the voters decide if they support Richard's suggestion
> or not - but I would be interested in hearing your opinion.
>
> Personally I would prefer a board made up exclusively of people not
> associated with OSM-related commercial organisations but I am realist
> enough to see that it is unlikely to happen.

I do understand your concern about the conflict of interests emerging.
However, from a community perspective, I can but applaud the
achievements of the current board members, commercially affiliated or
not; and this is what really matters to the community and the project.
Because of the following, I do not support the one-seat/one-company proposal:
- There are currently no barriers for external commercial
organizations, apart from Cloudmade, to stand for election on the
board.
- I do not see any concrete examples of how current
commercially-affiliated board members have 'exploited' their position.

> I would also like to take the opportunity to encourage people who are
> not from England to offer themselves for election - I would certainly
> want to see people from Germany, Spain, Italy, France, Iceland, Eastern
> Europe and everywhere else standing for election to give the board more
> diversity. (We do have Mikel and Henk, from the US and from the
> Netherlands, on the list already which is a good start but nowhere near
> enough.)

I second your thought on diversifying the board. However this
shouldn't simply be at the cost of marginalizing five of the current
board members who happen to be British. Perhaps, the number of seats
on the board should be increased coping with the growth observed in
the community.

Cheers
Michel