[Osmf-talk] OSMF and Evangelism

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Fri Jul 31 18:59:07 UTC 2009

On 31 Jul 2009, at 18:46, Nick Black wrote:

> Rafael - you have lots of good points.  It would be great to get
> some of these ideas channeled into an OSM-F working group that
> focussed on supporting mapping in developing countries.  I agree
> that the work we saw at SOTM was inspirational.   OSM can do a lot
> of good in a lot of parts of the world and I firmly believe that its
> part of the OSM-F's agenda to promote OSM to people who have not had
> the same opportunities that most other OSMers have had.

The Local Chapters work seems to be potentially very important for out-
reach to new countries. Personally I think the aim of the foundation
should be to 'enable' rather than to 'do' and I think that the Local
Chapters work group should be aiming to do that minimum work, saying,
yes, you can use the name and trademark, and yes, when someone asks if
you have authority you can say yes I do and show them a bit of paper.
Personally I think there is more work needed by the foundation to get
the Local Chapters (and I hate that phrase!) up and running well and
more discussion. There is no need for someone to use the Local Chapter
mechanism in any particular county - I can't see it being picked up in
Germany for instance. Personally I see no reason for the foundation to
ask for £10 per member of the local chapter because I think that would
kill it in many countries where it is most needed. I do also note that
the only chapters currently proposed are for the USA and for part of
the UK so it isn't working yet to full potential. I could make other
comments, but they are best made by other people and in another forum.

When there is a vibrant community building around local chapters then
the foundation could help raise some funds to support that work, but
personal again, I suggest that the work of the local groups in
discussion with each other to get together to raise that money, not
the foundation. The foundation's job it is initiate the processes and
communication and should not be the big benevolent grand-father who
sorts it all out. I think that this grouping of local chapters should
take responsibility for 'gps-to-go' and deciding where the GPS units
go and when they come back, it is not the job of the foundation to do
stuff that can be done by others or it will get too top-heavy and slow.

Btw, I did an pretty big edit of the Local Chapters page yesterday to
clean it up and provide a bit more structure. Could you please check
it Nick to ensure I haven't misrepresented anything?

Personally I would suggest that we create a email-list for interested
parties to discuss local chapters and outreach and get it moving. When
it is moving we can talk about what further input is required from the
foundation if any.

Regards,

Peter