[Osmf-talk] "ArcGIS supports Openstreetmap"

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Sun Sep 12 21:50:20 UTC 2010

dear Sam, all,

On 12/09/2010 21:14, Sam Larsen wrote:
> Look around you.  This community, whether you like it or not is made up of many
> people who either focus their business around OSM
> ... is making profit from your activities...

So i am looking for ways to create an ever-returning surplus, not just
in the context of OSM, but also Open Knowledge Foundation and OSGeo -
remember this post on post-web-2.0 collective business models?:
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2010-April/000850.html

The gvSIG Association has a good-looking collective business model.
A network of money-making entities consciously return a tithe to the
core of the project, to keep it expanding; more a token of commitment
than direct sponsorship. With money in the loop it seems a bit abstract.
Look at how Prodevelop donate time in kind to the gvSIG association, to
do the things that software developers cannot find it in their hearts to
do. One could broaden that circuit, loop it...

> As long as ESRI are not going around actively trying to destroy the project
> (which i don't really think they could do anyway), then the old anti-ESRI
> argument is not really worth discussion on this list.

It was not my intention to trip any anti-ESRI switch. ESRI does what it
collectively does. I was amazed to see OSM support in ArcGIS10
circulating on "Twitter". I don't know anyone at ESRI, i have never in
my life used a piece of ESRI software, etc etc. I have no idea what they
could donate or promote in kind, instead of money - a number of network
nodes on a Cassandra network, for example - http://cassandra.apache.org/
- or support for a pilot project with open national mapping data.

This could be a sharp kind of double-edged sword. But the alternative
appears to be the OSM Foundation scraping around for support for
hosting, while commercially exploiting entities create millions of
measured value in venture capital. And i don't understand that...

love,

jo