[Osmf-talk] "ArcGIS supports Openstreetmap"

Sam Larsen samlarsen1 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 13 01:30:17 UTC 2010

> > As long as ESRI are not going around actively trying to  destroy the project
> > (which i don't really think they could do anyway),  then the old anti-ESRI
> > argument is not really worth discussion on this  list.
>
> It was not my intention to trip any anti-ESRI switch. ESRI does  what it
>collectively does. I was amazed to see OSM support in ArcGIS10  circulating on
>"Twitter". I don't know anyone at ESRI, i have never in my life  used a piece of
>ESRI software, etc etc. I have no idea what they could donate or  promote in
>kind, instead of money - a number of network nodes on a Cassandra  network, for
>example - http://cassandra.apache.org/ - or support for a pilot project with
>open  national mapping data.

Jo, my name is Sam Larsen.  I am from ESRI (UK) - nice to meet you.  I think the
impact of traditional GIS software suppliers like ESRI will be in exposing a
large number of GIS users who have very little contact with open source &
collective works to the world of OSM.  These users may not have a lot of
knowledge of the open source world, but many will have a lot of experience in
GIS.  How involved they get really remains to be seen.  I feel as protective of
the project as many others and do worry about large companies charging in,
however, i feel that in the spirit of openness (which is really what we are all
about) we should embrace all those who show an interest in OSM.  I think we are
strong enough as a community to withstand 'commercial influence' (ignoring
current license debate ;)

> This could be a sharp kind of double-edged sword.

Any number of current happenings in OSM could turn out to be a sharp kind of
double-edged sword (including current license debate ;).

> But the alternative appears to be the OSM Foundation scraping around for
>support  for hosting, while commercially exploiting entities create millions of
>measured  value in venture capital. And i don't understand  that...

If what you are trying to say is that you feel uneasy with ESRI services
consuming large numbers of map tiles - then raise the issue in plain english and
we can  have a doalogue with ESRI & those who make decisions regarding the fair
usage  policy.  I am pushing for more hosted services from ESRI (who certainly
have the capability to do that), however, i am not the MD, so these things may
take longer than I might like.

I really don't care what other people are doing, who is earning what & who is
creating what - as long as we are enjoying what we are doing.  Frankly, if
someone creates something worth a lot of money and sells it - that's great, for
me, that is what it's all about; getting past all the restrictions of data so we
can get on with creating valuable uses for our data.  Is it open or not?

Sam