[Osmf-talk] "ArcGIS supports Openstreetmap"

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 13 07:23:23 UTC 2010

ESRI has expressed serious interest in OSM following the Haiti earthquake
response. I first saw public announcement of this at Where 2.0 this year ...
causing a minor bruhaha due to use of OSM images in their display, without
attribution :). Many response agencies use ESRI, and were using OSM data in
their map production. The ArcGIS 10 editor seems like an excellent technical way
to expand contributions to our community.

In my discussions with ESRI representatives, they've been genuinely interested
to engage, and several have posted on this list and others. That doesn't mean
they always get all the many facets of our community. I've emphasized that they
should make special effort to explain both the technical and the cultural
aspects of OSM to users of the editor, and provide as many in-roads to
participating in the community as possible.

There's also inclusion of OSM base map tile option on ArcGIS Online. Here, I've
expressed to them that they should be careful using these tiles, and perhaps set
up some infrastructure themselves, and I made several recommendations. So far,
usage hasn't been significant, so there's been no threat of having to cut off
tile access to them. This discussion hasn't gone any further.

Contributions by large users to OSMF hasn't been done in any coordinated way.
The most focused time is with SotM, and you'll actually see most of the big
users are sponsoring. It would be wise to consider a broader fundraising
strategy here ... I see that as part of the work of the (quiet for now, but not
for long) Strategic Working Group.

-Mikel

 == Mikel Maron ==
+254(0)724899738 @mikel s:mikelmaron