[Osmf-talk] OSMF Core Values

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Aug 1 09:30:07 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 08/01/11 10:15, Henk Hoff wrote:
> "OpenStreetMap Foundation is dedicated to encouraging the growth,
> development and distribution of free geospatial data and to providing
> geospatial data for anybody to use and share."

It is important to note that this is in no way tied to OpenStreetMap.
This is a bit of a mismatch with the Foundation's name - should OSMF
perhaps become the Open Geodata Foundation? We have the domain ;)

Indeed we had people planning to fork OSM, or people creating loosely
related databases of stuff that was considered unfit for OSM, coming to
OSMF and asking for funds or servers.

Personally I think that it is good not to "entrench" a link to the
OpenStreetMap project and keep it open. However, this means that if
someone comes along asking OSMF to fund "project X", OSMF will always
have to evaluate X and make a well-founded decision on whether it makes
sense to take away some resources from OSM and allocate them to X.

If we don't have the time or resources to make such well-founded
decisions, and are planning to more or less pour all our resources into
OSM anyway, then maybe it is misleading to keep the open wording, and
write "... through the OpenStreetMap project" or so.

Bye
Frederik