[Osmf-talk] OSMF Core Values

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Mon Aug 1 10:32:26 UTC 2011

On 1 August 2011 10:30, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On 08/01/11 10:15, Henk Hoff wrote:
>
>> "OpenStreetMap Foundation is dedicated to encouraging the growth,
>> development and distribution of free geospatial data and to providing
>> geospatial data for anybody to use and share."
>>

> It is important to note that this is in no way tied to OpenStreetMap. This
> is a bit of a mismatch with the Foundation's name - should OSMF perhaps
> become the Open Geodata Foundation? We have the domain ;)
>
> Indeed we had people planning to fork OSM, or people creating loosely
> related databases of stuff that was considered unfit for OSM, coming to OSMF
> and asking for funds or servers.
>
> Personally I think that it is good not to "entrench" a link to the
> OpenStreetMap project and keep it open. However, this means that if someone
> comes along asking OSMF to fund "project X", OSMF will always have to
> evaluate X and make a well-founded decision on whether it makes sense to
> take away some resources from OSM and allocate them to X.
>
> If we don't have the time or resources to make such well-founded decisions,
> and are planning to more or less pour all our resources into OSM anyway,
> then maybe it is misleading to keep the open wording, and write "... through
> the OpenStreetMap project" or so.

Entrenched core values can still be changed, it's just a lot harder than a
single vote at a board meeting.

As one aim of entrenching core values has been expressed as "better
protection against a corporate takeover", I think we ought to include
wording like Frederik's suggestion. Otherwise a hostile board could decide
that a fork, or an entirely different geodata project, better served the
Foundation's aims and ditch support for OSM entirely. Without the support of
the Foundation's revenue and assets the project would quickly fall apart.

We could go further, defining "the OpenStreetMap Project" in the opening
articles by reference to core services such as a complete database with API,
mailing list system and wiki.

Regards,
Tom