[Osmf-talk] Membership applications from Skobbler employees

Chris Fleming me at chrisfleming.org
Wed Aug 24 12:24:11 UTC 2011

On 24/08/2011 11:51, Milo van der Linden wrote:
> At OSGEO, they have some sort of membership pyramid
> (http://www.osgeo.org/membership)
>
> It is my opinion that the "flow"
>
> participant ->  member ->  charter member ->  board
>
> prevents hostile take overs and provides a perfectly fit
> infrastructure to keep everyone on board and happy.
>
> Dear board, please read the members area at OSGEO and use it as
> reference for the OSMF.

I don't think the current subscription based model is by any means
perfect, but I can  see problems with almost any membership model...

There is a danger here that if the "invited" model is used then there
could be the accusation (and perhaps danger) of OSMF becoming an elite
organisation?

We have talked about a more contribution based membership model; but
this could be gamed, it's hard to tie edits to real people or easily
stop someone gaining multiple memberships.

I don't know much about OSGeo, but I suspect that the total number of
contributors follows a very different model from that of OSMF?

Cheers
Chris