[Osmf-talk] I'm running for election

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 24 20:12:50 UTC 2011

Hi

Henk announced recently the upcoming AGM and Board elections. We've had three members step down, and so three seats were up for election.

We discussed this within the Board, and decided that this was sufficient to meet the AoA stipulations of Board elections. Really, the AoA is not clear ... it says that 1/3 of the Board must retire each year, and that should be the oldest serving members. This year, we have 1/3 of the Board retiring, but not the oldest members. The AoA does not say what should happen in this case, and it needs too (another issue for the AoA process). We resolved the ambiguity by deciding that 3 was sufficient this year, and that we should aim to retain some consistency through the next year of the Board.

I stand by this decision. However, I've heard privately that some members are not happy with this decision, and their interpretation of the AoA means that one additional Board member needs to retire. As Simone, Steve, and myself have all served the same length since our last election, and Simone has already stepped down, that means one additional long service member would be required to retire to meet the 1/3 directive (no one is suggesting that 1/3 of Steve needs to run again as well).

So in order to avoid any even appearance of a problem here, my personal decision is to run for re-election. Vote for me.

And please, someone else run. Right now, it's only me and a German troll on the ballot.

-Mikel

== Mikel Maron ==
+14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron