[Osmf-talk] Election

Harry Wood mail at harrywood.co.uk
Fri Sep 16 23:00:10 UTC 2011

Yep good points. In retrospect we should have pre-planned things a little more because the election is an important time for OSMF communications, but we were all very busy/distracted with SOTM stuff over the same period. I don't think any of the Communications Working Group or election organisers took any "official" steps to ensure manifestoswere translated, and yet several translations appeared. That's pretty positive. Thanks to those who went ahead and did that (That's the OSM way!) I guess this would happen even more next time if we simply and explicitly put out a request. Hopefully we communicated a bit more/better than last year, but we can improve for next year.

Couple of other things on the topic of translations of announcements:

We have gone to some trouble to set up translation features for the OSMF blog: http://blog.osmfoundation.org/  It's (kind of) available in French and German via the drop-down there, but we need some more translators. Currently we have Daniel Begin doing French and MichaelSchulze doing German.  Contact me directly if you'd like to help the foundation with blog translations.

It looks like this list should be helpful as a place to find some suitable people: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Local_Contacts  ...except that it's out of date. I just came across this wiki page recently. ideas/problems: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Local_Contacts

Our next Communications Working Group meeting is on Monday. Lots to discuss

Harry Wood