[Osmf-talk] Question to board members

Christian Quest cquest at openstreetmap.fr
Thu Aug 23 20:02:33 UTC 2012

I agree with Frederik, a real study on motivation around OSM would be
really useful.

How/why people discovered OSM ?
Why do they register ?
Why so many register without making any contribution ?
Why many do a few edits and disappear ?
It is related to the editing tools, the documentation, the community
management ?

We can talk about it, share our feeling, our thoughts, but nothing
will replace an in depth study... but it is not that easy to organize
and get meaningful results.
The main bias comes from the lack of answers we can expect from the
less motivated people.

During the past months I contacted every new contributor that made
edits in France, to try to get them get in touch with the local
community we're trying to build. I got around 10% answered which is
much less than what I expected.

About Mapnik rendering linked to motivation, I agree that currently it
is the main "reward" one can see.
MapAtag (http://mapatag.htw-berlin.de) is an interesting idea...

--
Christian Quest - OpenStreetMap France - http://openstreetmap.fr/u/cquest