[Osmf-talk] Question to board members

Andy Robinson blackadderajr at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 10:18:53 UTC 2012

The answer to this type of feedback has all to regularly been "patches/input
welcome". Thus far in 8 years we have not internally found a way of
motivating seasoned volunteers to the project to produce some good novice
information and tools (and I'm not trying to belittle the excellent
volunteer efforts that have been worked on and offered in the past). Yes the
information is there when you know where to look or are pointed in the right
direction but it's not the same as being handheld by a welcoming
introduction to the whole process. Not everyone wants to communicate and
search to find their way in.

Perhaps this is something that would be worth outsourcing. As an experienced
mapper I'm too far removed from someone signing up and taking their first
tentative steps and this will be the case for many of use reading this. The
problem needs to be viewed and solutions found by a new user group and
perhaps an external contractor might be the way forwards for that. Ie paying
(from OSMF funds) for some user interfacing info/video/tools.

Of course as always with engaging a contractor to do something you need
someone else has to write the specification. That might be done internally
through sharing thoughts in our usual manner but it could equally be another
third party using feedback gathered from new sign-ups and first time
editors.

Cheers
Andy