[Osmf-talk] Question to board members

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Fri Aug 24 13:46:29 UTC 2012

Could one simple solution be a couple of automated reminder/follow-up
emails?

People who register and make at least one edit could get an email a week
later thanking them, encouraging them to contribute more, and pointing them
to mailing lists, the forum and local groups if they want to get help. It
could also suggest some ways to contribute, like updating local shops that
have closed and opened, adding in addresses, etc. as it's not all that
obvious how and why you should become an active contributor in an area that
has most of the roads, parks, and other basic features.

People who have made say their first ten edits could get an email thanking
them and showing them some useful tools like the ITO maps, lint tools, etc.
to again give them an idea of how they could really make the data in their
area top notch.

None of this is a substitute for other good ideas flying around, but it has
the virtue of being a smallish one-off coding and copywriting exercise with
occasional ongoing work to update the copy.

Regards,
Tom