[Osmf-talk] Question to board members

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 16:29:46 UTC 2012

On 8/24/2012 9:25 AM, Mikel Maron wrote:
> >All I'm saying is that we must not focus solely on the map - it's bad
> > enough if our mappers already do that ;)
> Ok, let's focus on routing. There's been discussion and agreement
> before (several years now)
> that having routing integrated in OSM.org in some way would be
> valuable to mappers
> because it allows mappers to check the viability of OSM data for routing.
> Tiles and nominatim integration on OSM.org provide a similar function.
>
> Routing has not been integrated ad hoc. It's complicated both in terms
> of back end and interface.
> We need a realistic and practical plan for routing to be integrated
> into OSM. We need to try another strategy.

In recent times (and before that) Dennis Luxen (and others) has done
some great work on Open Source Routing Machine and has turned it into a
viable backend solution. With http://map.project-osrm.org/ he has even
demonstrated the feasibility of operating a world wide daily updated map
(at least for car routing). With that, the specs for the necessary
hardware should also be now known. OSRM appears to support a pretty good
selection of routing related osm-tagging and produces high quality
routes in most cases if the data is correct. It would be therefore a
good solution for routing on osm.org

If I understood it correctly he is also working on making it feasible to
have multiple modes of transport, such as bike and pedestrian routing
(without excessive hardware requirements). In the meantime one can
easily use a backend like gosmore to supply those kind of routes. While
gosmore can't do very long distance routes like Los Angeles to New York
or to some degree even struggles with routes like Munich to Hamburg and
thus isn't great for car routing, it handles short distances which is
the norm in pedestrian and bicycle routing just fine with relatively
moderate hardware resources. As an alternative, or in addition, one
could probably also use an external routing backend like MapQuest for
bicycle and pedestrian routing until osmf can take over operating that
service itself.

With http://routing.apis.dev.openstreetmap.org/ there is also a
functional prototype for integrating routing into the osm.org. It
currently uses map.project-osrm.org as the default car routing backend
and gosmore as the default backend for other modes of transport. One can
also select MapQuest and CloudMade as routing engines to compare them.

Therefore I think that all of the necessary components to integrate
routing into osm.org are now available. So as soon as OSMF buys the
necessary hardware, one could probably integrate routing into osm.org
comparatively quickly and easily.

Kai