[Osmf-talk] OSMF membership applications rejected

Serge Wroclawski serge at wroclawski.org
Sat Aug 25 14:05:46 UTC 2012

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 03:38:21PM +0200, Paul Hartmann wrote:

> Even if both applications are mere trolling, they should be treated,
> as any other serious candidate would have been treated. Please
> clarify in more detail, what this decision is based on.

I can't speak for anyone but Mike, but I don't believe Mike's request was a
troll; I think he was genuine in his desire to join the Foundation in order
to run for the board. I cannot speak for the board, but the concern I would
have with Mike joining the board is that Mike has repeatedly acted in ways
that work against the OSM project, including telling falsehoods about the
project in public, started a competing project, and (despite being not to
many times) using the OSM lists as a mechanism for recruitment for his fork
projects.

There might be other reasons in addition to those above, of course, but I
don't want to go off my memory without specific incidents in mind.

As I said earlier, I cannot speak to the specifics of the board decision on
this, but if I were in their position, I would certainly be very concerned
about him, especially given his past statements and actions that have
specifically been anti-OSM and anti-OSMF in nature.

- Serge