[Osmf-talk] OSMF membership applications rejected

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 18:21:07 UTC 2012

Excluding people from a project based on their opinion is always a
problematic, if not outright dangerous thing to do. OSMF has to be
tolerant towards opposing and controversial topic views. I.e. imho it
has to accept that people disagree on the license decisions and even
actively "fight" to change OSMF's policy on the license or contributor
terms. It imho also has to accept that some members might have
"non-mainstream" views like distributing the database over git or the
likes. For board members these are then up to the democratic process of
the elections to decide whether the larger OSMF body agrees with these
views or not.

What OSMF however does not have to tolerate are people who resort to
personal attacks or are inflammatory towards individuals or groups of
individuals, or deliberately spreading lies and falsehoods about the
project or its community. In a vastly diverse and international
community Nazi-like behaviour particularly should not have any place
(well for that matter it shouldn't have a place anywhere).

It imho also doesn't have to accept individuals who are actively and
deliberately trying to destroy the project as a whole. E.g. because they
have commercial or other interests in seeing OSM fail.

Therefore imho if the only objection to Mike is that he hasn't agreed to
the license change process or that he has "non-mainstream" views, then
that is not a reason to exclude him from OSMF membership nor from
running for the board. If there is a case to exclude him, it has to be
based on him being offensive, intolerant and or actively and
deliberately campaigning to harm the project.

In the case of Edwin, given that he has been an active mapper of quality
data, I would probably grant him OSMF membership and thus allow him to
vote, but deny him the right to run for the OSMF board. Board members,
as representatives of osm, have to be held to high standards of conduct.
Edwin clearly does not meet the standard of respectful and tolerant
communication as he has shown over a long period on the forums, as well
as in his manifesto.

Is there a legal framework to allow OSMF membership, but deny candidacy
for board elections?

Kai