[Osmf-talk] OSMF membership applications rejected

Henk Hoff henk.hoff at osmfoundation.org
Sat Aug 25 22:18:52 UTC 2012

1) I don't know about the complete history of the OSMF, but there have been
some issues before. Out of the top of my head: In the recent past a
membership has been denied in because the application was by a company, not
an individual person. Also, about a year ago the board has postponed the
acceptance of a group of members.

2) Some applications just attract extra attention. You can compare it with
traveling. Some people are picked out the line at customs for an extra
check. Renewal of membership is different. You are already member.

3) The basis for the refusal of both membership applications is in the
disruptive behavior / intentions by the persons. Edwin-ldbg's application
was a complete joke that any sane person would not take seriously. However,
looking at the circumstances I've treated the application normally. He
literary stated his intentions to be hostile to the Foundation.
Mike Dupont has attracted the attention of the mailinglist moderators in
the past for inflammatory behavior (not only towards the OSMF board). There
is not just one single item that caused the denial of Mike's membership.
It's a series of disruptive or hostile behavior over the recent time.
Also taking into account that neither of them had paid for the membership
themselves, showed their intentions where not sincere.

Different opinions are welcomed; but in a civil, respectful way.

Refusing somebody membership is not an easy decision. Having a policy, like
Frederik suggests, looks like a solution, but is extremely difficult to
make; if not impossible. What are your criteria, and how do you measure
them? This has been discussed about a year ago in the group that was
working on the AoA rewrite. You can only name some vague criteria like
"disruptive, damaging, faul intentions toward the Foundation". But, then
what is the limit? In the end somebody needs to make a decision. That's now
up to the Board.
Extra problem is that disruptiveness most of the time is combined with an
opposite opinion.

Henk