[Osmf-talk] OSMF membership applications rejected

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Aug 25 19:07:38 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 25.08.2012 20:21, Kai Krueger wrote:
> For board members these are then up to the democratic process of
> the elections to decide whether the larger OSMF body agrees with these
> views or not.

I don't know about the board decision making process that led to the
rejection of Mike's membership application.

I think that if he had written a proper manifesto that goes something
like: "I think the license change was one big mistake; vote me in and
I'll dedicate my board time to getting us back on the Creative Commons
track", and then had properly signed up and paid his £15, then nobody
would have objected. Having different views is not a reason to be kept out.

It was certainly a difficult decision for the board because it was
forseeable that it would receive a lot of discussion - one way or the
other. Had they allowed these sponsored memberships to stand, they would
have been accused of simply rubber-stamping all applications instead of
using their right to reject some.

I guess this "rejecting membership applications" must go on the list of
"things we need a clear policy for".

> Is there a legal framework to allow OSMF membership, but deny candidacy
> for board elections?

I don't think so, and I wouldn't feel good about having second-class
members who are good enough to pay the membership fee but not good
enough to be allowed to run for a seat on the board.

Bye
Frederik