[Osmf-talk] Candidates: How will you know ... ?

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 18:12:51 UTC 2012

On 08/28/2012 02:54 AM, Christian Quest wrote:
> Elections are the usual process in democracies to deal with that.
>
> Voters choose who they think represent them the best way.
> Of course, they have to know at what degree each candidate share their
> point of view.
The problem with this is that OSMF is only a tiny fraction of the
community. If I remember the numbers correct (please someone correct me
if I am wrong) there are roughly 300 OSMF members of which only 150 or
so voted in the last Board elections.

So the OSMF board is voted upon by ~150 people out of a community of
several hundred thousand people, or less than 0.1 percent of the
community. Therefore OSMF elections in its current form (unless they are
extended to include at least all active mappers) can't really be used to
judge the "wishes of the community".

Kai