[Osmf-talk] Candidates: How will you know ... ?

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Thu Aug 30 08:25:54 UTC 2012

On 27 August 2012 21:14, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:

> Presume that the board exists to serve the OpenStreetMap community of
> mappers.  If (re)elected, how will you know what the interests of that
> community are?  How will you know that you are representing the
> interests of that community in a way that that approve?

Could the Board undertake an annual survey of OSM contributors? Something
quite simple just to gauge contributors' main gripes, the things they think
are going well, etc. With such a huge membership base, even a response rate
of 0.01% of members who have actually contributed some data would yield a
large, useful sample.

It would be very interesting if it could be delivered via the OSM web site,
collating data from anonymous responses but also categorising each response
according to the type of contributor. It could use a typology such as that
developed by Pascal Neis and Alexander Zipf (
http://www.mdpi.com/2220-9964/1/2/146 ) so we could see whether "senior
mappers" give particularly different responses to "nonrecurring mappers",
and whether the response rate is particularly skewed towards one or other
group so we can bear that in mind when interpreting the results.

There's plenty of interesting academic research going on out there, and
scope for more detailed statistical analysis, interviews, etc. But I think
this could be a useful exercise, and in future could be timed so that the
results were published in advance of the Board elections to inform
candidates' manifestos and members' votes.

Regards,
Tom