[Osmf-talk] Proceedings from Face-to-Face Board Meeting

Tom MacWright macwright at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 16:33:14 UTC 2012

Seconding Tim's point:

If we're going to have "The OpenStreetMap Foundation is there to protect
the OSM database from hijacking" as the second paragraph of a mission
statement - a pretty darn important and visible place for something to be
written - it needs to be explained better. Even to 'us', the people who are
intimately familiar with OSM's history, future, technical details, and so
on 'protecting the database from hijacking' means what?

Actual hackers? Unnamed commercial entities who could hijack the
database... how? The instant collapse of civilization if we drop
share-alike?

As the statement is right now, it's Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt: someone
we don't know is doing who knows what. It either needs to say something in
particular or not be said at all.

Tom