[Osmf-talk] Proceedings from Face-to-Face Board Meeting

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Nov 12 20:40:31 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 12.11.2012 17:00, Tim Waters wrote:
> Could someone clarify, or explain further what "The OpenStreetMap
> Foundation is there to protect the OSM database from hijacking" means
> in a bit more detail please?

I think that when we chose that phrase we all thought that that's what
we were doing anyway; I don't think it was intended to signal a change
of course in any way.

I agree that taken out of the meeting context it does sound like an
explanation is required. I am however not in a position to *give* such
an explanation because that can only come from the board as a group and
not from an individual board member saying his opinion. So you'll have
to bear with us and we'll see what we can do.

In the mean time, it would be good if nobody assumed anything that is
not explicitly written. In other words, don't assume that we want to
switch off the tile server or stop doing SotM unless we say that. It is
quite likely that a group of people working on a document forgets
something - but much less likely that something is added which nobody
wants.

Or, as my English colleagues would say, no reason to get your knickers
in a twist ;)

Bye
Frederik