[Osmf-talk] Anonymous notes on osm.org

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Tue Nov 13 10:39:48 UTC 2012

On 13/11/2012 08:26, Tom Hughes wrote:
> On 13/11/12 06:37, Roman Fischer wrote:
>
>> While I agree that it should be simple and easy to report bugs, there
>> should be a way to contact the reporter in case more explanation is
>> needed... Maybe a "login" should not be required but at least an
>> optional email address for feedback/questions would certainly help.
>
> The problem with that is that as soon as we start asking for an email
> address we'll have to provide a whole lot of explanation about what
> we're going to do with it, who we're going to reveal it to, etc.

Which no one reads, its just there for OSMs protection.

> Presumably we wouldn't want to reveal it to other mappers either which
> would mean building some sort of system for sending them messages
> through the web site and collecting replies...

Providing someone has to log in to OSM to obtain an address (so it isn't
just public) and its provided by consent, I don't see it's a problem
communicating directly - people who are concerned about this can use OSM
in the usual way, but most people in the category we're trying to
address aren't usually that bothered about posting their address.