[Osmf-talk] Anonymous notes on osm.org

Rich richlv at nakts.net
Wed Nov 14 06:54:41 UTC 2012

On 2012-11-13 05:04, Harry Wood wrote:
> I feel quite strongly that we should allow anonymous notes. The exciting
> thing about OpenStreetBugs was always the simplicity of the user
> experience, particularly for non-registered fly-by contributors. Close
> your eyes and think back to a time when you weren't obsessed with
> OpenStreetMap. Imagine you're this guy:
> https://forums.craigslist.org/?ID=221103972   Looks like I failed to
> persuade him/her to add a bug, and that's without requiring sign in.
> It's a user experience thing. For me this massively outweighs the other
> considerations you've mentioned.
>
> But a period of a few months of lockdown might be a good idea ("soft
> launch")  Discussed here already:
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/rails-dev/2012-October/001138.html

i would strongly favour starting with such a "lockdown". mostly because
of seeing too many useless reports on osb, and to see that community can
deal with the amount of incoming reports.

as noted by others, there's little benefit if we're swamped with
reports, they pile up, become outdated etc. it also discourages
reporters from bothering again.

> Harry
  Rich