[Osmf-talk] a receding opportunity

Mon Oct 1 13:21:15 UTC 2012

Harry Wood wrote:
> Also lower down note some other calls to action. We need to sort out
>  documentation on iOS apps and iOS development. We did actually put
> out a timely tweet on this news:
> https://twitter.com/openstreetmap/status/248759285801185281 but this
> has limited impact because the list of apps is confusing. That's a
> whole other area of this "receding opportunity" which is probably
> more significant than missing a blog post.

Absolutely. Getting the "product" right is, and has always been, how OSM
has succeeded.

The single best thing we could do to capitalise on all this Apple
hoo-hah is to have a community-written smartphone app - just as we have
a community-written website, osm.org itself. A slippy map (code for that
exists, of course, it's RouteMe on iOS); a call-out to a routing
service; and some sort of OpenStreetBugs-like 'report a problem' button
(though Mapzen POI Collector-like functionality would be even more lovely).

Nothing that would compete with OffMaps, ForeverMap, and co - just a
calling card for our project. And call it simply "OpenStreetMap".

cheers
Richard