[Osmf-talk] a receding opportunity

Stephan Knauss osm at stephans-server.de
Mon Oct 1 15:18:47 UTC 2012

Martin Koppenhoefer writes:

> can we really exclude that it isn't a collective database? From ODbL:
> “Collective Database” – Means this Database in unmodified form as part
> of a collection of independent databases in themselves that together
> are assembled into a collective whole. A work that constitutes a
> Collective Database will not be considered a Derivative Database.
>
> As far as I am aware Apple is not distributing pictures but data
> (vectors) which are rendered on the device.

This might be an interesting point for the legal list to discuss it.

Does it matter where the software creating the product is running?
These colored pixels on your screen are a produced work from map data. The
map data is coming from one or several databases (you don't know the
details until you reverse engineer).
This would declare all types of map renderings as produced works.

I would love to have more clarification of these terms along with practical
examples covering the most common use cases on the wiki to make it clear to
consumers of our data what license obligations they have.
Can OSMF as the provider of the database provide more clarity on these
issues?

Stephan