[Osmf-talk] Proposal: Welcome Wagon Working Group

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Oct 2 07:32:52 UTC 2012

Michal,

On 10/02/12 08:43, Michal Palenik wrote:
> is it possible to get a list of new users which set their home location
> in our region and/or their preferred language is SK for the purpose of
> contacting them with welcome message?

There's currently no query interface for the API that would let you do
anything in bulk with users' home locations... but:

1. We have often discussed something where people would sign up and tick
a box saying "I would like to receive community messages in my area" or
so, and then anyone could post a message on OSM together with a bounding
box and instruct the API to deliver it to all users whose home location
is in the box, or something like that. I do believe that if someone
coded a feature like that it would be very welcome. Any rails coders in
the Slovak community?

2. There is already a welcome email that is sent out to every new signup
and it is internationalized and the contents can be changed on
TranslateWiki. The bits you're looking for are approximately here:
http://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=Special:Translate&task=view&language=sk&group=out-osm-site&limit=40&offset=896
(note that this URL contains numbered indexes and if you read this after
a longer time the link might point to the wrong position in the list).

3. There's a tool written by Pascal Neis that analyses the activities of
new signups. Rather than looking at their home location and language,
the tool simply looks at where they make their first edits. See
http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/newestosmlist.php for how many new users
there are in the last days or last week, or
http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/newestosm.php for a map that also has the
individual user names.

Bye
Frederik