[Osmf-talk] Financing the OSMF

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 13:26:49 UTC 2013

On 26 August 2013 11:54, Simon Poole <simon at osmfoundation.org> wrote:

> £3'000 income from membership fees

... which is an 18% drop from the previous year. Why are we losing
membership fee income so rapidly?

The annual income works out as roughly 200 paying members. It's not
inconceivable in my eyes for us to have 2000 paying members, and that
could make a substantial contribution to the recurring income. Of
course, if we have an annual net loss of membership at the current
rate, it seems better to figure out how to improve retention, and then
the natural increase in scale of OSM will trickle down to OSMF
membership, even if nothing else changes.

As an example, I'm once again faced with a non-trivial amount of
clicking links and reading websites in order to renew my OSMF
membership. The email reminder is sitting there unactioned for 24 days
already. With the way we've set things up, you get kicked out of the
OSMF every year by default.

In contrast, I'm a member of two organisations (London Cycling
Campaign and the British Mountaineering Council) were my membership
gets renewed automatically and the first I notice is when my fresh
membership card drops through the letterbox. I bet their retention
rate is higher than ours!

I don't see any need to focus on lots of new ways to generate income
when our current sources are so half-heartedly organised.

Cheers,
Andy