[Osmf-talk] Financing the OSMF

Harry Wood mail at harrywood.co.uk
Tue Aug 27 15:21:25 UTC 2013

Oleksiy you seem to be on a different wavelength to everyone else. Why are you talking about buying a conference centre building in Geneva? I can only imagine you're making this suggestion in the spirit of "thinking outside the box". I mean it would be lovely obviously, but are you just speculating about what we would spend OSMF money on if we were swimming in it?

There are plans to ramp up our spending in some areas. Some people advocate *significantly* ramping up our spending by hiring a team of people to work for the OSMF. Even if we were to go that route (hotly disputed whether this is a sensible course for OSMF)  I think we can look at what the wikimedia foundation have:  http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_offices based on $20million in donations last year, and (forgive me for sounding unambitious) I think we can say we won't be exceeding that, so buying a conference centre in Geneva really isn't going to happen.

I do think it's useful to compare with wikimedia foundation on a number of things. They're very similar to OpenStreetMap in that they've got a massive community of contributors with levels of dedication forming a long tail shape, and dedicated volunteers taking on a range of responsibilities. It's far more relevant as a comparison than a hand-gliding/biking clubs or the LA marathon. But I'm not saying we need to copy wikimedia. They manage to raise all that money (*loads* more money than us) without showing corporate logos on their site but they're also burning through it, mainly with salaries I guess. And they do have quite ugly nagging banners for their donation drives. If we can pick a clever path which lets us raise *big* money the way wikimedia does, without such a large team of paid people I think there's a sweet spot we need to find there somewhere.

Harry Wood