[Osmf-talk] Notes & Bing Imagery

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Sat Dec 7 09:37:22 UTC 2013

Hi Pierre,

Thank you for the information.

I could distinguish some people and cars on this aerial imagery from the
elevation of 150 meters, but they are completely unrecognizable.

I guess from the approx. 100 meters altitude, recommended by
regulations, it will be about the same. It is important for privacy.

I watched the video on the web-page and noticed that during these six
days there were clouds and wind (moving tree branches) in Haiti. The
team arrived for the six days visit and had to fly no matter what.

Still the quality of the imagery is amazing. I tried to map with it,
mapped a soccer pitch near Minustah Camp
http://osm.org/go/YeQzpQehl--?m= , which is on the Drone imagery, but
not on satellite's.

Haiti is a particular case, as there is a lot of destruction in urban
areas. It would be interesting to create a similar test project in an
usual city.

Even if during one flight we take only 1 - 10 square kilometers of
imagery, the area of an average city is 200 - 300 square kilometers. So
it is hard, but doable.

And we can weight for a calm sunny day for flying. I mean there will be
less vibration of the drone camera on a quiet day, so the quality of
photos will be better, and the risk of a crash is less.

I understand that the aerial imagery layer created in this way could be
copyrighted © OpenStreetMap contributors, as the map itself, and shown
to map users.

Not only for adding notes, but even if someone wants to see an aerial
view of a certain place. There could be a button on the map - switch to
aerial view.

The imagery for the whole city could be created once, and then only
districts, where there are changes, like construction of new buildings,
roads, etc. are updated.

brgds
O.M. (Alex-7)