[Osmf-talk] Notes & Bing Imagery

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Wed Dec 18 16:23:20 UTC 2013

Hello Fred,

Thank you for the information. Interesting.

Today I've made my first mapping flight with my new ultralight Blade 180
QX quadrocopter ( http://www.bladehelis.com/180QX/ ). Flying//weight: 95
g (3.35 oz), the price is 180 USD. The idea is to generate abundant
up-to-date aerial imagery for mapping at low cost, risk-free, at any
area, at any time.

I had to turn the camera completely down to get imagery similar to a
satellite imagery. It was a test flight, still I made an aerial photo of
a building which is not present on any existing aerial imagery. And I
actually mapped the building on the OSM. Here is the aerial photos and
the photos of the quad:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1iIyCDAgHGG-2pWtgKFngPoJ1qCyus9HaUFr8MrW75G0/edit?usp=sharing

The ultralight weight allows the usage in a populated area without a
risk of a fatal crash. The range is limited by human sight. It can fly
really high and the DSMX radio transmitter keeps the reliable control of
the aircraft all the time. But it is small and it quickly turns into a
dot in the sky, almost invisible. It may result in a fly-away and loss
of the quad.

As I said it was a test flight and the images are not orthorectified
yet. The camera makes a photo when one presses a trigger on the
transmitter. It works fine, but the camera is only 1.3 mega-pixels (it
weighs only 15 grams though).

The Blade 180 QX camera platform is robust, responsive, ultralight,
relatively inexpensive. However, its small size makes it quickly
invisible in the sky (no GPS-return-home function), and the resolution
of the camera could be higher, and it could be turned completely down
without an artisanal remake.

It is a good UAV to start learning to pilot with a radio transmitter.

All the best,
O.M. (Alex-7)

P.S. I will send this message to the Blade 180 QX producer too.