[Osmf-talk] Losing faith

Oliver Kühn oliver.kuehn at skobbler.com
Wed Jan 16 10:09:18 UTC 2013

Dear Ivo and all those who support the comment,

you are absolutely right with your mail. And I also fully support what
was written here.

Nonetheless, I want to give a short explanation what has happened in
OSMF and put it into perspective:

(1) There has been tensions in the past. Steve sometimes has his own way
of communicating - while being mostly right in what he is saying. This
has caused wounds that haven't been healed despite being very old.
(2) There are long-standing people who are very active in OSM. Those who
made OpenStreetMap what it is today. However, some of these people seem
to have tried to escape the real world and find "their" world in the OSM
project - with the intentions to find a world of real democracy,
politics-free, competition-free, free of bad habits of big corporations
- an isolated world that is much better than the real world.

And instead of adapting to current situation, accepting that competition
has evolved for volunteers in the mapping space from Google and co and
therefore trying to improve an environment for volunteering mappers and
map data users at the same time - these people fight for keeping the
organization as they found it in the beginning. This leads to the fact
that too much energy is put in "dealing with ourselves" rather than
looking outwards and fight and outperform our competition from Google
and co.

We are currently seeing one of the typical - non avoidable - crises that
organizations run through as part of their growth process. The
organization is facing the challenge of professionalizing. Unfortunately
the difficulties on they way are carried out to the non-active members.

This said you should take away that OSM and OSMF is on the right track
but dealing with the typical challenges of growth and a changing
environment. Don't worry much about the "drama" which is part of the
growth process. And Steve is good guy with his heart beating for OSM.

Happy mapping!

Oliver