[Osmf-talk] Phasing out Google services

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Thu Sep 19 17:31:48 UTC 2013

On 19/09/13 18:18, Oleksiy Muzalyev wrote:

> I tried this version of "Etherpad" https://etherpad.mozilla.org/
>
> Character encoding is UTF-8, so it supports accented letters and
> non-latin alphabets, what could be important for an international
> project, especially for postal addresses.
>
> A document could be password protected. It allows team editing, color
> marking, time line, edit history (who edit what and when), invitations,
> export to OpenOffice document and PDF, etc.

It's formatting options are extremely poor though - no support for any
sort of headings to start with.

Certainly it's not even close to GDocs on that front.

> Really cool; I've never heard about this software.
>
> The source code and installation instructions are at the "Etherpad
> Foundation": http://etherpad.org/
>
> It seems not that complicated to install.

Well it isn't packaged for Ubuntu which is a bad start because it means
we would have to install it from source which is never ideal.

On top of that it needs Node.js 0.8 or 0.10 and Ubuntu LTS only has 0,6
so we would have to take node from a PPA which again isn't ideal, but it
does look like there is probably a reasonable PPA we could use so it's
not impossible.

So yes we probably could run it - there would be a bit of work to do but
it's not as bad as some of the stuff we already run.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/