[Osmf-talk] Phasing out Google services

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Fri Sep 20 05:42:07 UTC 2013

I used to maintain a list of names, phones, and addresses of less than
100 employees. I did it in an "MS Access" file.

When an address changed, a colleague had to inform me, I updated the
file, printed it out, destroyed the old printout and distributed the new
one.

This data file changed almost daily. Not only addresses and phone
numbers, but even names change. People get married, divorced,
re-married, buy apartments, sell houses, move, etc.

I heard from a sociologist at a conference that the mobility continues
to increase dramatically in the 21st century. It will be the century of
migration: internal, inside the same country, and international.

By now one from seven is a migrant, by the end of the 21st century
everyone on Earth will be a migrant.

If an address changes, I assume, one just has to fill up this Google
Form again and resubmit (hopefully it will not create a duplicate entry).

Or, again it is just a suggestion, a password protected "Etherpad"
document could be created with the required list of names, postal
addresses, e-mail addresses.

If address changes, an OSMF member, knowing the password and URL,
logs-in into this file and updates her/his entry.

"Etherpad" could be installed and  hosted at the OSMF website.

It can be tried here: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/ or there is list of
services http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etherpad

It is not possible to sabotage the whole file, as there is a team member
color-text marking, the time line, and other relevant features.

brgds
Oleksiy
(Alex-7)